Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Metric

Robatoy wrote:
On Sep 8, 8:34 am, dpb wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an
archaic system?

Comfort...it's what people grew up with so it's what's natural.

--

Interfacing easily with almost all other nations on earth would also
bring comfort, no?

On a personal level, no...

OTOH, enterprises engaged in large-scale and/or routine trade _do_ use
mks routinely. I'm guessing you're dealing essentially w/ individuals
not sizable corporate engineering groups.

I'm a NE by training and 40+ years experience so know mks for
engineering work intimately. Yet, for routine day-to-day living I'm far
more comfortable w/ English units simply because they're still what have
that innate feeling over.

It's no different than your familiarity w/ daily temp's in C and sheet
goods in mm--that was what you grew up with; it's what you unconsciously
think in. OTOH, while you "know" what an inch is, it takes actual
effort to relate that. We're precisely the other way 'round (and I
suspect will continue to be for the foreseeable future as there isn't
the mechanism in the States to coerce the changeover).