Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Building a deck, stain now or later?

"Jason" wrote in message
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm having a deck built by a
contractor that I don't completely trust. So when he gives me advice
that seems out of the ordinary, I tend to question it.

The floor of the deck is being built with Severe Weather deck boards,
and all of the framing is built with Severe Weather boards, too (with
the exception of the hand rail). These boards seem more wet than other
wood that I've used, and I don't know if it's the type of wood that is
more heavily treated, or just because it rained here last week.

Is it better to go ahead and paint/stain the wood immediately, to
prevent it from drawing up? Or should I wait until it dries out before
treating it? If I should wait, then how long should I wait?

TIA,

Jason

If Severe weather wood is pressure treated , it is common for it to be wet ,
plus you said it rained...Duh...I'd stain it next spring as it won't have
time to dry enough to stain this fall unless you are in the deep south or
Cal. , ect........ Pressure treated wood needs ATLEAST a couple of months to
dry properly....

With construction work at a near standstill you could have had your choice
of contractors to build your deck , so I'm kinda wondering why you hired
somebody you don't trust and question his advice ??? Price ???