Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Strange tube ID

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:09:21 +1000, Peter Dettmann
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 18:51:19 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Someone threw away an old wood-cabinet radio across the street from me.
Rummaging among the remains, I pulled a tube from the chassis, of a type
I'd never seen before.

It's a stubby little metal-jacketed puppy, about 1" high, octal base
with 7 pins. Metal is rusted enough that I can't read any markings,
though I can just make out the GE logo. Most of the rest of the tubes in
the set were standard-height metal-jacketed ones.

I thought it might be a plug-in rectifier replacement, but I don't think
they had silicon diodes back in those days. It occurs to me that it also
might not be a tube but some other socketed part that may need
replacement periodically.

Not a big deal; I'm not going to do anything with this stuff. Just curious.

It sounds like a 6H6, a dual diode that was used as a detector and
AVC rectifier. Two pins for the filament, two pins for each diode, and a
pin to ground the shell totals seven pins.

My first thought was also the 6H6, but he mentions 7 pins. So the
question is, does the socket have 8 pins available, and if so, I would
back up the 6H6 suggestion.

Peter

I assumed that he was saying it was octal with the eight pin never
installed. Agreed, probalby a 6H6...