Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default mower won't turn over

cj wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
"RBM" wrote in
:

"cj" wrote in message
my 42" MTD mower with a 17hp. motor won't turn over..new starter,
new battery. when i turn the key it seems like the battery doesnt
have enough 'umph' to get the motor spinning...i have the correct
cold cranking amps for the size motor.also, am i correct in
assuming that when the motor is running that the battery is getting
charged. the mower is about 4 years old..
thanks, cj
Maybe dead battery, or bad starter. Try jumping it, or pull the plug
and see if it will turn over without compression

And if when you crank it with the plug out, it cranks fine and gas
shoots out of the plug hole then the carb is hosed up. Fluids don't
compress easily.

i pulled the plug a a ton of gas shot out when i cranked it over...so
that means a bad float?
what do you mean when you say the carb is hosed up?
on the bottom of my float there is some sort of sensor two wire, one
black one white
thanks, cj

Probably could mean a few things. I'll leave those possibilities to those
who have solved that type of problem via nitty gritty digging. The times
I've had carb problems I tend to just get a rebuild kit and a can of carb
cleaner. Sometimes see the cause when I take it apart and sometimes not
but the rebuild and cleaning takes care of it.

Or you could get a replacement carb and be done with it. Either way,
change the oil before trying to run it again. As Ransley said, oil is
likely diluted with gas. Will quickly ruin bearings and then some if run
as is.

Don't know what those wires are for. I'm sure someone has input.