Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Chuck recommendations

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:04:15 -0700 (PDT), Bob wrote:

Sorry to barge into your post, Bob, but I just read an article and wanted to
amend my post..

I'll back off on my recommendation of the Nova chuck for the OP, it isn't the
same size as the Vimarc and Stronghold, it's the size of the Talon.. My
mistake..

On Sep 5, 12:00*am, John Doe wrote:
I just upgraded from a midi to a new Powermatic lathe and would like to hear
anyones recommendations for a chuck. *I have heard a lot of good things about
the Oneway Stronghold and SuperNova 2 chucks. *Is there any benefit of one
over the other? *What about a Vicmarc?

Also, has anyone used the Barracuda chucks from Penn State? *Getting a few
extra sets of jaws is nice, but only if the chuck is worth it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

When I moved from my Jet mini to a Powermatic, I kept my Oneway Talon
chuck and just changed the threaded headstock adapter. I keep my the
#1 Talon jaws on it. I supplemented the Talon with a Oneway
Stronghold for larger turnings.

I am quite happy with both chucks, and the jaw/chuck combinations work
well for nearly all of my spindle and bowl turnings.

Bob

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing