Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Engineer[_3_] Engineer[_3_] is offline

Default Which Brandss of cordless phones most reliable

On Sep 1, 12:12*am, "iws" wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

|I am considering buying some new cordless phones with the caller-ID
| and answering features. *Besides Consumerrrs Reports, does anyone here
| have any experience repairing cordless phones, and which brand(s) do
| they consider most reliable and/or repairable?
|
| TIA,
|
| Bob Hofmann

I doubt any are made to be repaired these days. I would suggest you go for a
model that uses individual NiMH batteries as opposed to a custom made
battery pack. The batteries not holding a charge are the most frequent
problem after a couple of years and the custom battery packs are often
nearly the price of a replacement handset. I have had good luck with the
Panasonic DECT 6.0 models. You can often get a set of 4 with base answering
machine for about $80 on sale. A couple of nice features: talking caller ID
for when you can't get to the phone immediately; new message alert flashing
light on all the handsets and the ability to actually listen to the message
from any handset. Good battery life too unlike a Philips model I tried.

I'm into around the second year of use of a Panasonic DECT 6.0.
Separate NiMH cells in the handsets. Works fine. Decent range. Decent
sound. Good, fast VOX switch on hands-free speaker use. I'd buy
another... but hope not to have to!
Cheers,
Roger