Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

Wes wrote:
Don Foreman wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 07:27:18 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Armed revolution? Wow. Not saying you and Gunner are wrong but
yikes. No wonder I can't get primers.

That's probably only one of the reasons you can't find primers.
Another major drain is the war in the ME.

The war in the ME isn't a factor. There was no shortage before the
last election. Now people are hoarding and mfrs have cut back
production because they're worried about the current administration
imposing draconian restrictions on ammo and components. The shortage
is due to fear and uncertainty. The administration didn't have to do
anything at all to curtail availability of ammo and components.

I'm not so sure on the worry about restrictions, I think the worry is
all the people hoarding won't be buying ammo and components for years
as they use up their hoard.

Perhaps the hoarders won't be a big issue, they, like I, will just
consider their current inventory as the floor for inventory going
forwards.

I haven't bought large numbers of primers in years, the Clinton
years. I just replace my stock as I use it.

As far as the revolution, the politicians should keep their eye on
the Military, every member has given his or her's oath to defend this
Country from all enemies, foreign or domestic.

http://www.history.army.mil/faq/oaths.htm

There seems to be a history of military deposing corrupt goverments.
Don't think it can't happen here.

I'd like to think we won't roll over like Canada, the UK, and the
Aussies. At least during my lifetime.

Try to keep this thread civil.

One of the biggest reasons for these shortages is foriegn sales Wes.
Arms sales are down overall in the international markets, but in spite of
that, the US has taken both market share and increased sales volume in both
the systems and small arms categories.

The k00ks that are building stocks in anticipation of some major upheaval
caused by the election of Obama are enough to tip a tight supply into a
bunch of spot shortages. I have not, for instance, seen a single caliber
listed in this group that I can't just go out and buy in quantities that my
local range would normally stock. They probably wouldn't let me buy them out
of anything but I was there two weeks ago and picked up everything I needed
off the shelf except for the rounds for my DE .50. I had to call ahead for
those and won't be shooting that one again until prices come down.

Manufacturer's have to make a considerable investment in equipment to add
capacity and the payback takes some time.
They well understand the nature of bubble and bust in their market having
been through one not that long ago, so they are content to raise prices in
order to throttle demand.

That's all there is to it and anyone with the least bit of common sense
knows it.
It's just a business decision.

--
John R. Carroll