Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison Phil Addison is offline

Default Illuminated switch to show that cloakroom light and fan is still on

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 00:02:59 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 18:10:35 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 04:36:03 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

Must say I was surprised to find the big names
don't make an SP lighting circuit varient of the 20A DP SW+neon.
The problem being the typical lack of neutral - hence nowhere to put it!
That only applies to (some) retro-fits and, even then, routing in a
neutral is not impossible. Why isn't such an indicator light-switch
available for new builds where the electrician would know in advance
that a neutral is required? Is it so unusual to have the switch on the
outside of the understairs loo?
Probably not, but is not the switch being "down" enough indication
anyway?

Nope, already tried that solition and it doesn't work! see OP "We have a
loo under the stairs with the light switch on the outside and it
sometimes gets left switched on so the fan remains running (as well as
the light being on)." :=/

No, I meant was the switch being down not enough of an occupancy
indication rather than a warning the light was left on. Obviously it
would leave scope for sitting there with your legs crossed waiting for
the emergence of the phantom occupant, which could take a while.

OIC. In that case no, because we all knew it sometimes got left on so
standard practice was to shout "anyone in there?" in that case. With the
red neon grabbing attention, it is now unlikely to mean anything other
than 'occupied'. Of course there may still be the odd cry of "OI!!!"
from within when a thoughtful passer-by turns it off. However, if in
doubt its simple enough to just try the handle; we do have one of those
feeble lockable handles.

An "Occupied" indicator was never my criteria, "Occupancy" (not the same
thing) was raised by the PIR fans, I just pointed out that the
indication is a bonus with the red neon.

Phil