Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default A gardening DIY question

Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
Q 1 In next doors garden, right at the left hand side, at the bottom,
is a tree, whose roots are pushing up the final 2 paving slabs of the
path that runs to our back gate.

If I lift the paving, how can I cut back the roots to let the paving
down a few inches to allow me to open the gate? I have already taken
about 3 to 4 inches off the wooden gate.

With an old saw and a sharp axe - the timber isn't very hard, although it
usually clogs up the saw after a short while because of the high moisture
content, which is where the axe comes in...

Q 2 A similar problem, I have had some of those dreaded Leylandii cut
down earlier this year and there are stumps about 2 to 3 inches
sticking out of the ground (about 4 inches in diameter.) How can I
cut these down, or should I just put a membrane down with pebbles on
top to match the rest of the garden and let nature take its course?

Dave

dig around each stump and cut off another 4 - 6 inches, then pull the soil
over and wait for nature to take it's course, or you could split them with
the axe first, which makes cutting them with the saw easier.

I like that :-) Thanks

Dave