Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Re-roofing a barn

hebintn wrote:
Hi Tony,

I'm practically a neighbor. I'm between Newport and Dandridge. Two
years ago I built a greenhouse for my wife. Of course it's on a
hillside, as is everything here, which presented problems from day
one. The structural part was no problem with help from my wife, but
putting on the roof couldn't be done from inside and the plastic was
not rated for my weight. I'm retired and not as agile as I once was.
So, I was considering buying a bucket and then selling after the
project was done, but elected to go the paid help approach. After
looking into a couple of contractors who didn't want the work (and
were WAY too expensive), and several day laborers who didn't have
insurance I finally hired a couple of guys who had a truck with a
bucket. I had them sign a waiver that said they would not sue me in
case of accident and that they accepeted the work on conditions
stipulated. I'm not sure it was legal, but fortunately there were no
problems.

Hey neighbor! We are very close "as the crow flies". Yes living on a
hillside, or mountainside sometimes presents some problems. I wanted
more parking and just some flat area next to my garage and got the "free
dirt" from out on 25E heading to Morristown. The deal is that the dirt
is free but you pay $125 for delivery of a tri-axle load of about 22
Tons. (delivery my have gone up since then) The guy is a local
excavator and a good guy but I won't mention his name here. I ended up
with 7 truckloads of fill dirt. It's a lot of money but a small price
to pay for some usable flat land. The fill is a lot of shale and it
packs *great* with some rain. Especially if it's wet when delivered.

As far as Goodys, I believe the whole chain went out of business, they
had my name and number for them to call me when they got down to
shelving and warehouse stuff, but they never called me. If you have the
contact info. for the guys with the bucket truck, send me an email.

Thanks,
Tony