Posted to alt.home.repair
hebintn hebintn is offline

Default Re-roofing a barn

Hi Tony,

I'm practically a neighbor. I'm between Newport and Dandridge. Two
years ago I built a greenhouse for my wife. Of course it's on a
hillside, as is everything here, which presented problems from day
one. The structural part was no problem with help from my wife, but
putting on the roof couldn't be done from inside and the plastic was
not rated for my weight. I'm retired and not as agile as I once was.
So, I was considering buying a bucket and then selling after the
project was done, but elected to go the paid help approach. After
looking into a couple of contractors who didn't want the work (and
were WAY too expensive), and several day laborers who didn't have
insurance I finally hired a couple of guys who had a truck with a
bucket. I had them sign a waiver that said they would not sue me in
case of accident and that they accepeted the work on conditions
stipulated. I'm not sure it was legal, but fortunately there were no
problems.

There have been a couple of times I wish I'd bought the bucket and had
it to do high work on the barn and cabin. By the way, when the Goodys
in Newport closed there was a lot of equipment that they were selling
out of their Knoxville warehouse. Included in there were two
buckets. That was several months ago and I'm sure they're gone now.
But, used equipment is around.

Good luck,
Harry

On Sep 6, 12:06*pm, Tony wrote:
dpb wrote:
Tony wrote:
I was just joking, I'm in eastern Tennessee. *...

Where might that be?

Was in Oak Ridge for over 20 years before returning to family farm in KS...

I'm further east, south of Newport and north of Cosby in Cocke county on
English mountain.

The Newport High School still has a nice big sign for their football
team that reads "Home of the Fighting Cocks"! *The last cock fight raid
I know of was a couple years ago and while they were there they
confiscated a lot of moonshine also. *BTW, I'm a Damn Yankee and have no
Cocke County genes.