Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Tite Bond II...Hardware Store says it has the fewest complaints

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Does Tite Bond II have any track record with you guys? I was an
elmers wood glue guy, but am willing to try new things. This TB II
stuff claims to be for exterior use as well (water resistance, etc.)

The hardware store says that of all the wood-specific glues, they sell
by far the most of the TB II. And of all the glues total, it's the
one with the least complaints (none), and the glue with the most
complaints is the elmer's wood.

Looking for experienced comments here. Having used everything to
repair chairs before (from plain vanilla elmer's white to PL-400 ----
don't ask) I'm always looking for a great glue. When clamped properly
the EWG was superb.

TB-I /-II are yellow carpenters' glues that are equivalent to any other
on the market--I've used it by the 5-gal bucket over the years. I
recommend it highly although there's little to commend it over any other
reputable similar product; they're all essentially equivalent. In
larger-volume times I've used the Woodworkers' Supply "Ol' Yeller"
that's about 20% or so cheaper as well but one has to be in large
production environments for the cost of "ordinary" glues to be sizable
enough an expense to even be noticed.

All in all, use what's locally available at good pricing/convenience;
there's really very little to pick one over another.

The only really significant difference is w/ the TB-III (and similar)
products--they satisfy a higher level of water resistance and are
indicated for exterior use or as noted in another response where the
lower chalk temperature is a desirable trait.