Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.blind-users
Andrew Hodgson Andrew Hodgson is offline

Default patronising digital advert

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009 22:59:21 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
wrote:

In message . com,
Andrew Hodgson writes:

[...]

In Outlook
Express at least, the screen reader historically just used to read
everything out to the user automatically. Imagine that reading mode

The person sitting opposite me at this moment is reading news with OE
(and Window-Eyes), and I do not think he is having any difficulty with
just moving the cursor down; however, I understand this may not be easy
for all cases. ..

Interesting... Will have to check that out at some stage, especially
if I end up moving to Windows 7, though I am still more likely to use
Thunderbird rather than OE.

[...]

readout is broken up by repetition of symbols being read out.

I have seen suggestion that speech software might indicate who is
saying what by using a different voice (or at least pitch). Does any
such software (that anyone here is using, anyway) actually do that?

Not here using JFW 10. The best it could probably do is either skip
out the lines beginning with or change the voice to something
different. This may end up being more annoying in the end though.

[...]

Have you experimented with Dominic Jain's OE-Quotefix? It certainly
fixes one of the most glaring problems with OE - the fact that it puts
the signature at the top - as well as various minor matters.

Yes, it does work with speech ok. Though when I tried it on another
system we still had the arrow problem in OE.

[...]

the one blind 'group of the (rather strange set of) five that
this thread is posted to has been very quiet of late (until this
thread!), so I'm not sure what the norm was for it. ..

I use interleave quoting here as well as on all other Usenet. It is
specifically the blindness related email lists which cause a problem.

Thanks.
Andrew.