Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Illuminated switch to show that cloakroom light and fan is stillon

On Sep 7, 1:23*am, John Rumm wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, John Rumm wrote:
Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, NT wrote:
On Sep 5, 11:59 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

The LED would need a rectifier of course.
You just parallel a reverse connected diode to the LED for AC. Plus a
suitable current limiting resistor, of course.
you can, but the resulting flicker is terrible. Worth going for 100Hz
flicker imho. That also gets you half the capacitor size.
*How about a pair of LEDs, reversed and paralleled, and mounted very
close to each other (perhaps behind the same diffuser)?
That might solve the flicker issue - but TBH, 50Hz flicker is not going
to be an issue for this application.

People do complain about 50Hz flicker. Not me, but some people.

I am one of them - especially on TVs and monitors etc, but we are
talking about a power on light here! ;-)

Light bulbs and tv screens behave differently wrt flicker though. TV
screens simply move the position of the light output at 50Hz, whereas
with a bulb the whole lot goes on and off together at 50Hz, causing a
much worse effect.

I just dont see any advantage in a 50Hz flickering circuit. It eats
twice as much power for the same light output, it flickers.

NT