Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default More city code violation crap

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
I didn't think much about codes until I moved into a condo that had
been long neglected (longer story). There were no functioning
lights in atrium, stairway or front walk, in spite of there being
elderly and/or vision impaired residents. Busted sidewalk steps. Pot
holes in pkg. lot. Rats in attics.

Since living here , I've seen an owner do major remodel without
permit. He screwed through the cabinet of the microwave he installed
(found by next owner, after first owner doubled his money). Another
newer owner burned out some of the wiring to our unit by nailing new
flooring through the conduit in the unit above ours. Wiring had
numerous black char marks on it and burned through completely in at
least one spot. He blew our breaker three times (the final time)
before he paid attention. When he went on to plumbing, his plumber
didn't notice a leak in something newly installed until I saw water
dripping from bathroom ceiling.

And your point is, exactly, what?

Seems to me the tenants - including you - are willing to put up with a few
inconveniences in return for (no doubt) significantly reduced rent.

They aren't tenants, from my reading. They are the owners of the
individual units. One of many reasons I'll never buy a condo- you have
to have somebody knowledgeable and trustworthy riding herd on any owners
making internal changes, to make sure they don't trash the place for
everybody. Which means you have non-trivial condo fees forever, to pay
for said individual, in addition to the care and feeding of the common
areas.

If I can't afford a stand-alone house in whatever area I need to be,
I'll just store or dispose of most of my excess stuff, and rent an
apartment. (Unless I trip across a house that rents for less than buying
one, of course.)

--
aem sends...