Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected][_2_] l.vanderloo@rogers.com[_2_] is offline

Default Chuck recommendations

On Sep 5, 12:00*am, John Doe wrote:
I just upgraded from a midi to a new Powermatic lathe and would like to hear
anyones recommendations for a chuck. *I have heard a lot of good things about
the Oneway Stronghold and SuperNova 2 chucks. *Is there any benefit of one
over the other? *What about a Vicmarc?

Also, has anyone used the Barracuda chucks from Penn State? *Getting a few
extra sets of jaws is nice, but only if the chuck is worth it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

As I have to rely on just the chuck for my larger pieces, (no
tailstock on the outboard side) I use the Oneway Stronghold chuck, the
chuck with the Oneway jaws is the best holding chuck hands-down, the
very large pieces I will roughout with a faceplate attached to it,
after that it is the Oneway Stronghold.
For my smaller lathe I have now 3 Oneway Talon chucks, they are very
good chucks also, but not up to the full potential of the Powermatic.
The Vicmarc were also good chucks, were, as I don't know how the
Chinese are going to measure up, Nova chucks are not in the same
class, never were, and have had numerous problems before.

You can check out the holding power of the Stronghold in my album were
I show the making of a large bowl, the album is a few years old but
still applies to the chuck.

I also have a piece on the lathe right now that did exceed 30", it is
now being held by the same Stronghold chuck, never had any problem
with the Oneway chucks, and counting the extra cost over the use of
more than 10 years, it wouldn't add up to a penny a day.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...ad.php?t=28474

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo