Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Best Pencil Brands/Sources

Steve Turner wrote:
Leon wrote:
Actually this is mine,

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ner-58-0515-in

Nice. Mine is actually a "Berol Turquoise 14":

http://www.leadholder.com/point-turq.html

I don't know why they call it "Turquoise", because it came in
different
colors; mine's orange. I don't guess Berol exists any more, but the
Dahle look pretty much identical (the Dahle is made in Germany; my
Berol
says "Made in the USA" on the bottom) and $8.95 sounds like a pretty
good price because these things work great and are absolutely
maintenance free (other then emptying the graphite dust once every 5
years).

I suspect that the name came about because Turquoise is the brand name of
drafting pencils made by Eagle Pencil Company that became Berol in 1969 and
was later taken over by Sanford. Turquoise brand pencils and leads are
still in production, however Sanford does not appear to be selling a
sharpener any longer. The pencils have always been painted a distinctive
turquoise color.