Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Best Pencil Brands/Sources

On Sep 6, 9:28*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Leon" wrote:
Do you remember the mechanical pencil sharpener that you would spin
the pencil around in a circle. *It had a small cone shaped sanding
paper cylinder in it to sharpen the lead.

Of course, made by K&E.

Was in the high cotton when I first got mine.

Finally gave it to GoodWill a few years ago.

The replacement sandpaper cones were all dried out.

Lew

I had my K&E drafting machine rebuilt by a 'just' retired K&E
mechanic. New linear bearings, calibrated stops, had the tubular rails
straightened to with ± nuttin. He charged me $ 300.00, I gave him $
400.00. He had done so many things I didn't ask/expect.... like new
screws (the visible ones), a new, updated protractor knob... And
replaced a balancing spring (which had a notch in it).. now the thing
floats on air..weightless with a brake that doesn't move the
scales.... period. Like jewelry.

Memories. ( I still have a very old K&E horse-hair brush which
draftsmen used to clean eraser dust off their drawings.)