Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Home Shop building recommendations?

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 16:38:00 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer
wrote:

"RogerN" writes:

At my previous home I had a ~30 X 50 building with concrete floor that I
used for my home shop. Moved to the country maybe 5 years ago and don't
have a shop building or garage, just a car port and a wooden storage
building.

I'm trying to come up with the most cost effective home shop building I can.
I don't want to have to depend on any income from the home shop but I think
I can get some business if I get my shop set up. Part of my motivation is
that my son is now 11 and I'd like to teach him machining, controls, and
automation. The con is that every dollar I put into a shop is a dollar not
paying off something else, but may be dollars well spent (perhaps my shop
building would pay for itself and give my son some valuable experience).

So what type of building is most cost effective? (All metal, pole barn with
metal or wood skin, or ?) Would anything (wood, metal?) be good for a
smaller building for now but be expandable later if I needed more room? I
assume I need a concrete floor for the machines (I have 3 mills and 2
lathes, plus a press, welders, saw, and wood shop tools) would it be
advisable to save money with a part concrete, part rock floor?

It's hard to beat shipping containers.

True indeed. But the average price of a 20', here in california, is
$1200, plus $500 shipping. I can build a nice 8x20' building for well
under $1700.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates