Mike in Mystic

Default topic change: how's your bench coming, charlie?

I knew you'd been keeping busy, I was just curious. The detailed
descriptions you've gone into are very good reading, so I guess I'm just
hungry for the "next chapter" hehe. I'm sure you're more anxious than
anyone else, though.

I am hopefully going to tackle and complete the installation of the Vertias
twin-screw vise on my Sam Allen joiner's bench today. Now that it is mostly
complete, I can't help feeling a little unsatisfied that it isn't massive
hard maple, etc. etc. But, you have to make do, I suppose. Functionality
wins this round in bench building for me. Maybe in 10 years I'll be ready
to go whole hog and make a "real" woodworking bench hehe.

Mike

"charlie b" wrote in message
The base unit with the through drawers is still sitting on the
shop floor waiting for the top to get built. The apron stock
has been milled and cut to lengths and the vise jaws are cut
and almost ready to use. Still having a mental block about
cutting the dovetails in the apron parts. Kid projects are also
a good excuse to put off the dovetails.

But I did get a PAX dovetail saw that can cut deep enough
for the 2 inch (aka 8/4) apron parts - the dozuki and the
"what was I thinking when I blew that much on a LN DT saw"
saw couldn't make the depth. Thought about the bandsaw but
opted for handcutting (read: used that as an excuse to
procrastinate some more).

And I have been practicing with the PAX DT - cut the pencil
line, leave the pencil line on the left side of the kerf,
leave the pencil line on the right side of the kerf and
cutting to the scribe lines - front and back. I've got
'til February to finish the bench - in less than a year!

And I made a nice saw till for the two PAXs, the LN, a Disston
dovetail saw, the dozuki and a japanese DT saw.

When I finish helping a kid make oak and ipe handles for
his plywood sword I promise I'll get right on the bench
top, aprons and vise installation - honest.

charlie b