Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Ground wasp nests

Jon Danniken wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I have discovered a ground wasp(?) nest near my house. So I went to HD
and got a spray can, but when I read the instructions it seemed to
deal with nests in trees. The instructions say to "saturate the nest"
but I only have a small opening.

What's the best strategy?

Go out at night and pour a sudsing ammonia and detergent solution down the
hole, so they can't fly, then stick a garden hose down there.

Turn the hose off in the morning.

Jon

And then go rent a pump to empty out the basement, around my place at least.

That pink powder, poofed into the hole after dusk 2-3 days in a row, has
always worked for me. I always keep a few cans of the squirtgun spray
around too, for immediate revenge and gratification after they
mass-sting me. Seems to happen about once a year when mowing- this year
they flew up the sleeve of my shirt, and stung me from inside. Awful
hard to brush away under a shirt.

Always, within a week, something (skunk?) digs up the dead nest to
salvage the honey.

--
aem sends...