Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Sweating Cu pipe

On Sep 5, 11:02*am, JIMMIE wrote:
I don't usually have a problem sweating Cu pipe but this is a little
unusual. I need to put a coupling on a short pipe protruding from a
wall covered with ceramic tile. When I place the coupling on the pipe
the coupling extends back into the wall so I cant solder to it.
Removing the ceramic tile is a last choice, it is very old, nearly 100
years and I doubt if a match could be found. Getting to the plumbing
from the back side of the wall is also not a good choice. I was
thinking of drilling some solder holes around the perimeter of the
coupling to feed the solder into. I have experimented with this
technique on a couple of pieces of scrap and it seems to work OK.
Anyone here ever done something like this before.

Jimmie

I soldered it in this AM. I removed almost all of the stop ridge from
a coupling slipped it over the pipe a nd soldered it in feeding in the
solder from the opposite end.
Took five minutes. Well I did my civic duty for a while.

Jimmie