Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Pencil Brands/Sources

"Hoosierpopi" wrote:

OK, I should have realized that the Back To School deals on Pencils
were unlikely to provide the superior marking and writing and
sharpening I didn't realize were so important to me until I found
myself with a few dozen of these "specials" so damn difficult to
sharpen, use w/o breaking the point, etc etc etc

I am using Office Sharpeners - and they do make a longer, finer
point
than may be essential to the task - but I had a couple and they are
motorized and relatively quick.

But they produce a tip that - with these cheap pencils, breaks off
too
early, too often and with too little pressure.

If any of you have experienced similar issues and resolved them with
particular brand, I would appreciate hearing of , as well as of a
source for, same.

First thing you learn in drafting class is how to put a point on a
drafting pencil using a sanding pad.

(Am I dating myself or what?)

Find a drafting supply house (Yes they still exist) and buy a couple
of boxes of StaedlerS/P drafting pencils, I like 2H for layout, H
for writing.

They are imported from Germany.

Rather than use sandpaper, an 8" mill ******* file works well to put a
point on a pencil, especially the flat carpenter's pencils.

A good small Buck pocket knife trims back the pencil wood exposing the
lead.

As an alternate, a Boston electric pencil sharpener also works quite
well.

BTDT.

Have fun.

Lew