Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,alt.comp.blind-users
J. P. Gilliver (John) J. P. Gilliver (John) is offline

Default patronising digital advert

In message . com,
Andrew Hodgson writes:
[snip]
quoting:
Sometimes it is difficult using a screen reader to work out where the
various posters have said what. This mainly is due to the MUA
software not allowing the user to arrow through a message in the
traditional sense - if for example in OE or the default mode in Agent,
if you use the arrow keys to move through a post, you aren't actually
moving the cursor up/down, but scrolling the whole window. In Outlook
Express at least, the screen reader historically just used to read
everything out to the user automatically. Imagine that reading mode

my bit:
.. The person sitting opposite me at this moment is reading news with OE
(and Window-Eyes), and I do not think he is having any difficulty with
just moving the cursor down; however, I understand this may not be easy
for all cases. ..

quoting:
with interleaved quoting - there is an immediate issue as you are
trying to remember exactly how deep specific quotes are, plus the

my bit:
.. Again, I see what you mean. Of course, it doesn't help when people
leave in the contributions made by many other posters, rather than
snipping a bit more. ..

quoting:
readout is broken up by repetition of symbols being read out.

my bit:
.. I have seen suggestion that speech software might indicate who is
saying what by using a different voice (or at least pitch). Does any
such software (that anyone here is using, anyway) actually do that?
(AFAICT, Window-Eyes doesn't.) ..
[snip]

quoting:
After saying all that, I find that with the limited sight I do
actually have, I prefer reading/posting to Usenet using my ancient
Agent 1.93 (later versions cause issues with screen readers) using
interleaved quoting. However, such programs as Outlook (which I use

my bit:
.. I'm pleased to read that you like interleaved quoting. ..

quoting:
for email at work and have recently moved to this at home for
convenience sake) makes this horribly difficult for *anyone*, and so I
have taken to top posting for email correspondence (specifically
blindness related email lists).

my bit:
.. Have you experimented with Dominic Jain's OE-Quotefix? It certainly
fixes one of the most glaring problems with OE - the fact that it puts
the signature at the top - as well as various minor matters. (Oh, and
it's free.) I have no idea, I'm afraid, how well or badly it works with
access software, though I would have _thought_ it ought not to have
problems. ..

quoting:
I feel that it is good etiquette to follow the pattern of the majority
in the group/list to which you are subscribing. Thus, it is probably
bad etiquette to post using interleaved quoting in a blindness related
email list where everyone else top posts for the same reason that it

my bit:
.. I agree; the one blind 'group of the (rather strange set of) five that
this thread is posted to has been very quiet of late (until this
thread!), so I'm not sure what the norm was for it. ..

quote:
is bad etiquette to post in a Usenet group where everyone else uses
interleaved quoting.

reply:
.. I fear there are very few places where everyone uses interleaved
posting - it is sadly rather rare! ..

Thanks.
Andrew.

.. You're welcome - John
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"We know that primitive man felt anger, as is evidenced by the deep kick marks
that archeologists have found in prehistoric vending machines." - Dave Barry