Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Restoring old shop equipment

Daryl wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
Daryl wrote:
For the fence and surface (assuming they are cast iron) steel wool
and FWD-40 does a great job. Clean and then Johnson's paste wax
every 6-9 months. I've only repainted one tool and used Sherwin
Williams epoxy. Looks great and has held up fine (5+ years). I have
a Delta (Rockwell) scroll saw and belt sander from that era. No lube
ports on the sander, saw has an oil reservoir right under the table.

Wood magazine did a test between several different methods/products
for rust removal and prevention.
http://www.boeshield.com/rust_prevention/stoprust.pdf

You may find that some of the newer products will save you some time and
energy, as WD-40 and Johnson's both did the worst at their respective
tasks.

I tend not to believe everything I read, especially when it doesn't jive
with my own experience. If I did, FWW would have convinced me a year
ago that I needed a 20 ton press to do a panel glue up. Been doing this
since '94 when I got my table saw. Johnson's takes maybe two minutes
to apply, wait 10 then 2 more to buff off and that only twice a year.
The top looks as good today as when I bought it. Now doing the same
with all the tools. Not sure what could be easier than that but I
should probably stick with this. I could use the excersize.

Just my $0.02

Daryl

I certainly wasn't telling you how to part your own hair, just sharing
info, which is the purpose of this group... I hope. :-)

For your intents and purposes, you probably don't need the best in both
categories. If you look at the pictures in the article, you'll see they
are letting those surfaces get very rusty... simulating what looks to be
"a couple years in the shed" worth of rust.

If I ever have to take off that kind of rust, I'll go with what they
recommend and not repeat the learnin' they already learnt. :-)

As for prevention... someone in here recommended this...
http://www.super-lube.com/drifilm-aerosol-ez-69.htm
....and I've been using it with great results so far.
Plus, it's a multi-tasker and I hate uni-taskers.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--