Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:44:05 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

That's just silly. Gunner has educated us that the .380ACP, conceived
and designed by John Moses Browning, is to be disdained as
contemptably wimpy.

Indeed. Its the cartridge of last resort. Hell...look it up on the
internet. And Ive provided a number of power comparisons. Dont like
them? Ignore them! By all means. This is America. Carry what you want.
I certainly didnt call you names or imply that you were crazy or a flake
for wanting to carry one to defend yourself with. I may have implied
that because you had more appropriate arms..you may be foolish..but
thats my opinion on that particular subject. I certainly made my
respect for you on all else quite clear. You missed that post?

I'm not feeling dissed, Gunner. I understand that your contempt is
for the round as compared to more potent calibers. I don't even
disgree: a .45 is undeniably more gun than a .380. For me it's a
matter of reality vs theory. I realized a little while ago that my
reality was that I just never seemed to carry a .45, .40 or 9mmp, even
on the infrequent occasions when I possibly should have been carrying
something. I have them, but I don't carry them. So I carried nothing.
Most of the time I feel no need to carry but there have been times on
my walks where I've been a bit uneasy. The little .380 is very easy
to drop into a pocket (Fist holster) so I sometimes grab it on the way
out the door. A .45 it certainly isn't, but it's considerably more
than nothing. Sometimes I feel a bit silly carrying even a .380 among
nice friendly young folks that say "Hi" along the trails, but I
don't tell anyone I have a gun in my pocket.

You may recall that PPK stands for Polizeipistole Kriminalmodell
(Police Pistol Detective Model). It was carried for decades by
plainclothes policemen in Europe who seldom actually shot anyone.

Another opinion from a plausible source:

The PP & PPK Walthers, along with their numerous 'copy-cat' clones
from BOTH sides of the 'Iron Curtain', have been cosidered as
'adequate' by so many European military and police authorities that
they have been issued by these units for decades, both before and
after World War l l, not only in .380ACP (9mm Kurz (short) or Corto,
metric desig.), but in .32ACP(7,62 Kurz), 9mm Makarov, and 9x17Ultra,
as well, just to name a few.
The veteran 9mmK has killed & wounded thousands in military &
peacetime situations, a very effective service record.
If you feel confidant and comfortable with your personal marksmanship
with a Walther PPK to depend on it as your personal defense weapon, GO
for it! ! !
I have carried my PPK/S as a back-up, and in more 'formal' social
situations where my H-K USP would have been somewhat 'out-of-place',
and I have no better recommendation than for the all-time BEST of the
'pocket' automatics.
Source(s):
Legal Arizona CWP armed citizen,
w/ H-K USP .45ACP
Life Member: N.R.A. & G.O.A.
Former U.S. Marine
4x Rifle & 2x Pistol Expert:U.S.M.C.
Firearms owner,including Luger P-08, H-K, Glock, S&W, Colt, & Walther
pistols
35+ years reloading metallic pistol and rifle ammo

I can attest that .380ACP WWB (Winchester white box) ammo has
disappeared from store shelves. It's even difficult to score .380ACP
used brass. Gunner posted an offer but never delivered, which wasn't
a surprise given his expressed disdain for that caliber. If he
scorns the caliber why would he have any brass in that caliber?
Posting is one thing, doing is another. California promises are the
province of liberals.

Blink blink...I told you I had to work and would take some time finding
you the brass. Less than a week later, I contacted you and you stated
you had already go some.. Shrug..you either want some or not. Ive got
several Thousands of pounds of brass cartridge cases. Some are mixed,
some are boxed, some are sized, some are simply filling 5 gallon
buckets. My shop is a mess as is my cartridge storage areas. Ive been
working, medically infirm etc etc since I spent much time doing
reloading, casting etc. Several years in fact.

Now I ask you again...do you want some brass in .380, or not? Ive got a
number of .380s that I can use some of the brass for. Because I prefer
to not use it for self defense, doesnt mean that I dont shoot it on
occasion.

I'm good for a while. I may be back to you later, though. The
attrition rate is kinda high when shooting outdoors because those
little cases tend to disappear in the grass.