Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Charles Lessig Charles Lessig is offline

Default finding the center of gravity...(machine dolly-design related)

On Sep 5, 2:08*pm, dave wrote:
need to build a (retractable wheels) dolly for my big saw. the huge
motor, and other thick cast iron parts, stick out to one side, and
rearward. I'd prefer to space the wheels 'relative to' the center of
gravity, at least 'somewhat, anyway'.

this is the saw, or at least 'most of it' anywayhttp://machines.2x.nu/unisaw_offloading/

if I lift the saw, and try 'balancing' it on, say, .500 diam round steel
rods, and find the 'balance center' left to right, then (use same
procedure to) find the balance center front to rear, is the center of
gravity ALWAYS over where the two lines intersect?

umm, it 'seems to me' like it is, but just checking here...

thanks guys,

toolie, of 'strange machine dollies' fame :-)

If you hang something from a point the CG will be on a
line directly under that. Do this from another point and
the GC will be where the two lines cross.

This shows where the CG is in 3 dimensions but may
be difficult to do.