Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:55:18 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:19:50 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 12:05:56 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 07:27:18 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Armed revolution? Wow. Not saying you and Gunner are wrong but
yikes. No wonder I can't get primers.

That's probably only one of the reasons you can't find primers.
Another major drain is the war in the ME.

The war in the ME isn't a factor. There was no shortage before the
last election. Now people are hoarding and mfrs have cut back
production because they're worried about the current administration
imposing draconian restrictions on ammo and components. The shortage
is due to fear and uncertainty. The administration didn't have to do
anything at all to curtail availability of ammo and components.

If by "mfgs have cut back on production" means adding second shifts and
installing more production machinery.....you would be correct. But
then.....care to rethink your statement?

Gunner

What are you hinting at now, Gunner?

The story I heard, which could be incorrect,

It is incorrect.
was that suppliers were
cutting back because they were concerned about having a backlog of
inventory they couldn't sell if some legislation was passed that
required serializing, an etched signature of the buyer on each primer
or some other such damn foolishness dreamed up by politicians.

Chuckle..that law never even passed the House, let alone the Senate.

But, rethinking my statement, it could well be that the primer mfrs
produce primers at whatever rate they do and demand has temporarily
outstripped capacity due to hoarding and fears about future
availability. I understand that a similar shortage happened during
the Clinton era and that it lasted about a year. I wasn't paying any
attention at the time so feel free to correct and elucidate.

Now you have it Almost correct. As I stated.
Im rather in touch with the firearms community...shrug.
However...the primer and component manufactures are working double and
triple shifts..and they STILL cant keep up. Demand...is huge. G

Ditto ammo. Before the election my local Wal-Mart always had a good
supply of popular calibers like 9mmp, .40S&W, .45ACP, .38 spl, .357
Mag, and (hidden behind a doily) .380ACP. Now they have shotgun
shells, some .22 rimfire and a lot of empty shelf space.

Indeed. And if you want ammo..find out what days they deliver..and be
there and wait until they unload the truck. You are going to have to
stand in line however..cause everyone else is buying by the case...so
get there early.

Shrug.. Fortunately..I keep enough stuff on hand to last me a few
years or 4. Part of being one of those ugly survivalists I guess.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost