Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

I'm very glad we have those rights. But where in the Declaration of
Independence does it say we have a right to shoot our politicians?

That right was recognized later, in the Bill of Rights.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free
State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be
infringed."

And whose security do you think they were supposed to defend?

In 1794, President Washington called up 16,500 of those militia from three
states and marched them from Harrisburg to the Monongahela Valley to put
down a tax rebellion, in which he jailed a score of them and fined another
score.

That's what the Founders meant by "security of a free state" and the role of
the militia. It wasn't to kill elected politicians. It was to kill the
people who would take up arms against them and threaten the elected
officials of the republic -- whether they were foreign or domestic.

--
Ed Huntress