Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison Phil Addison is offline

Default Illuminated switch to show that cloakroom light and fan is still on

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:06:12 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

I'm considering modifying a standard light switch by drilling a hole
into which a small neon or LED is fitted. There is some safety
consideration here so wonder if there is suitable double insulated
neon/led available. Failing that I think I need to create some kind or
perspex window in the switch with the neon/led behind it.

Any thoughts?

You can get things like:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GU2011.html

which although designed for heavier loads are not particularly clunky in
use. However, they suffer the usual limitation of requiring a neutral at
the switch position to work.

I don't know this particular one, but the ones I have seen require quite
a lot more pressure than a light switch rocker, and emit a resounding
'click' when operated. That's why I'm looking for an alternative. I'm
off to maplin tomorrow for their red neon as posted by steve, so its
going to be a DIY job!! Must say I was surpprised to find the big names
don't make a SP lighting circuit varient of the 20A DP SW+neon.

Phil