Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default DIY disasters kill nearly 600 a year

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

stan wrote:

-snip-
So why DIY got such a bad rap is unclear.

Maybe the construction trades were behind it? As far as shooting
yourself with a nailgun. . . I've seen dozens of these guys on TV with
spectacular close-calls. Nails in hands & heads & feet---- and none
have been DIY guys.

Jim

Yes, in all probability is propaganda drummed up by unions that are
scared because people are learning how to do things themselves and
realizing that it's not that difficult.

I've certainly saved a lot of money buying autoparts online and installing
them myself.
I saved $300 buying a ball joint and replacing it myself,when mechanics
would only replace the entire lower control arm;quotes of $400 for the
whole job. (03 Nissan Sentra SpecV) The ball joint cost $15,and I borrowed
the press tool from Advance Auto(at no charge),and bought a few other tools
myself.

Next,the mass air flow sensor died,local cost $300 for the entire air flow
assembly,remanufactured,OR $400 from the dealer new,I got a new sensor for
$89 online.

What a racket....

--
Jim Yanik