Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sweating Cu pipe

JIMMIE wrote:
I don't usually have a problem sweating Cu pipe but this is a little
unusual. I need to put a coupling on a short pipe protruding from a
wall covered with ceramic tile. When I place the coupling on the pipe
the coupling extends back into the wall so I cant solder to it.
Removing the ceramic tile is a last choice, it is very old, nearly 100
years and I doubt if a match could be found. Getting to the plumbing
from the back side of the wall is also not a good choice. I was
thinking of drilling some solder holes around the perimeter of the
coupling to feed the solder into. I have experimented with this
technique on a couple of pieces of scrap and it seems to work OK.
Anyone here ever done something like this before.

No, haven't done it but sounds at least feasible if make holes very
small. I've done pinprick leak-fixes by simply filling w/ solder that
have held indefinitely.

Question though--is there not enough space around the pipe to bend a
piece of solder into a U and reach behind the coupling that would be
covered by an escutcheon or similar?

Alternatively, you might try tinning the fitting first, then heating it
and slipping on.

Oh, and the slip-joint fittings (the ones w/o the ridge in the middle
would let you reach from the inside of the pipe open end to wick the
solder in.