Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default DIY disasters kill nearly 600 a year

" wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
stan wrote:

-snip-
So why DIY got such a bad rap is unclear.

Maybe the construction trades were behind it? As far as shooting
yourself with a nailgun. . . I've seen dozens of these guys on TV with
spectacular close-calls. Nails in hands & heads & feet---- and none
have been DIY guys.

Jim

It wasn't DIY, but I read recently about a guy in Indiana who was taken
in by a chipper, a la "Fargo".

Yea, I read that story. Having spent some time with wood chippers of
that size, I'm not buying the accident part. My take is suicide by
chipper so his family can collect on his life insurance and keep the
house. The only other possibility would be some sort of seizure disorder
that disabled him. Of course the autopsy should be able to determine
that... not.