Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
A Lurker A Lurker is offline

Default Chuck recommendations

I have a Powermatic with Technatool Nova chucks. The G3 is their bargain
chuck and I brought it along with my upgrade to the Powermatic with just
a new thread insert. I kept the old insert which I put in for using on
the smaller turning club lathes. I do this because they have the
Barracuda chucks which I find very frustrating to use. The Super Nova is
their first line chuck and is real solid for bigger work. They also had
the Titan for really big stuff. The nice thing is that jaws are
interchangable between all chuck models. The one warning I will give
about Technatool is that all the chucks I have are made in New Zealand.
Recently they offshored production to China. I heard they moved their
actual machinery there, but I still wonder about quality. They also are
not making the Titan now.

John Doe wrote in
.net:

I just upgraded from a midi to a new Powermatic lathe and would like
to hear anyones recommendations for a chuck. I have heard a lot of
good things about the Oneway Stronghold and SuperNova 2 chucks. Is
there any benefit of one over the other? What about a Vicmarc?

Also, has anyone used the Barracuda chucks from Penn State? Getting a
few extra sets of jaws is nice, but only if the chuck is worth it.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!