Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default Illuminated switch to show that cloakroom light and fan is stillon

On 5 Sep, 18:57, Steve Walker wrote:
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:25:46 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:
Any suggestions for a source of illuminated light switch as a reminder
that the light it feeds is still on? We have a loo under the stairs with
the light switch on the outside and it sometimes gets left switched on
so the fan remains running (as well as the light being on). I don't want
to fit a clunky 20Amp DP mains switch like this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-20a-dp-s...on-k5423d1whi-...
or this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-20a-dp-s...k5423whwhi-p-5...

What I really want is a basic light switch like this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-10a-1g-s...-k4870-whi-p-5...
but with a neon indicator incorporated. I can't find such a thing, the
nearest being thishttp://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DT2503A.htmlbut
it works the wrong way round - the illumination is 'on' when the switch
is 'off' - its so you can find the switch in the dark. I suspect the
wiring could be reversed, but as it's intended to show up in the dark it
may not be bright enough for use in a *lighted area.

I also found this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-neon-loc...041-p-496.html
which is an illuminated section that sits between the switch and the
back-box. Again I'm not sure if its bright enough and it seems a bit of
an overkill.

I'm considering modifying a standard light switch by drilling a hole
into which a small neon or LED is fitted. There is some safety
consideration here so wonder if there is suitable double insulated
neon/led available. Failing that I think I need to create some kind or
perspex window in the switch with the neon/led behind it.

Any thoughts?

Phil

LEDs do not have insulation deemed suitable for mains, unless you have one
with a surround and lens. The other problem is that you don't normally have
a neutral available at a lightswitch, hence you can light a neon or LED
easily enough when the switch is off (using the switched light as the path
to neutral, as the current is too low to light it), but not when the switch
is on.

SteveW

What the OP wants is a "panel neon", e.g.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...neon&source=15 or
LED: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?...0led&source=15
but check that they aren't too deep for the switch box.

However, I wonder whether a neon/LED will be prominent enough in
daylight, or too easy to ignore even if it is.

If the door is visible down a corridor, you could just drill a hole,
or even replace a whole panel with frosted glass, but again it may be
difficult to see in daylight.

A third possibility is to replace the switch by a motion (sorry)
detector as used for security lights.

A delayed-off time switch is another possibility, but would need to be
inside so that it could be reactivated if things take longer than
expected!

Chris