Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Illuminated switch to show that cloakroom light and fan is still on

In article ,
Phil Addison wrote:
What I really want is a basic light switch like this
http://www.fastlec.co.uk/mk-10a-1g-s...whi-p-511.html
but with a neon indicator incorporated. I can't find such a thing, the
nearest being this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DT2503A.html but
it works the wrong way round - the illumination is 'on' when the switch
is 'off' - its so you can find the switch in the dark. I suspect the
wiring could be reversed, but as it's intended to show up in the dark it
may not be bright enough for use in a lighted area.

Snag is light switches don't normally have a neutral available. The type
which is on with the light off gets the neutral via the light - since it
only takes a small current, the lightbulb looks like a short to it and
thus provides the return. I suppose you could run a small neon to earth -
since this is no worse than many SMPS do. But don't tell anyone I
suggested this.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.