Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Modern paint remover

Jim S wrote:
I need to get some layers of oil-based gloss paint off some brass fittings.
Last time I did something similar I used Nitromors. Is there something
new/better on the market?
They are not attached to anything so I can soak them in a container.

I did all the hardware for the doors and cupboards in an old house, by
simmering the pieces in a pot of white vinegar. It softens even very
thick layers of paint, and makes it easy to remove with toothpicks and
old toothbrushes. Don't use an aluminium pan, though - use cheap
stainless or enamel. It's healthier for you, easier on the budget than
paint remover, and does at least as good a job.