Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Kitchen phone jack bad?

On Sep 5, 2:40*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
My kitchen phone was *crackling horribly, so I bought a *replacement
at Radio Shack. *It worked fine for a month or so, then IT started
crackling just a week ago!

The phone AND the personal alarm system (in case of accident press
pendant around neck and summon help) both plug into the wall jack. *I
unplugged the alarm and plugged in only the phone. Still crackled.

I plugged the phone into a jack in another room, where it worked
fine. *So is the problem in the jack? *Or where?
All other phones in house work OK.

If only I had inside wiring coverage, I'd be home free, but I
cancelled it a while back because it had become so expensive.

After looking in vain on-line *for a diagram or something to help me
decide whether I can fix this,
I appeal to Your Greater Minds.

Is this something an amateur should be able to do?

Can someone offer succinct directions, or...

...refer me to a Web site for directions?

TIA

Hypatia

It may not be the jack, It could be the cable on your phone or it
could be another phone jack in your house or other connection, or
anything connected to it. I would start by didconnecting everything
except one phone then try another phone if need be. The ncheck all the
connections on all your jacks.

BTW you phone jack can have 90 volts ring voltage on it whenever
someone calls you. I have a neon indicator on one of my phones out in
the shop so I can tell which one is ringing. Those take at least 60
volts to light.

Jimmie