Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.[_3_] Steve R.[_3_] is offline

Default Light Weight Oil

"Tim" wrote in message
m...

"Joe" wrote in message
I just picked up a pocket-sized "hypodermic" style oiler, and want to
use it to hold a light oil. Since I can't find any good watch oil
around here (I know it's available online), I'm wondering what is a
good, non-gumming substitute. ISTR from several years back a comment
on this ng that ATF was a good substitute for watch oil - any comments
about that? Otherwise, I might just use Marvel Mystery Oil.

Joe

http://www.3inone.com/

The white oil used in restaurant equipment. It also used for electric
shavers. The stuff sold as a stool softener in drugstores is also good, and
probably the same stuff. I used the latter on clocks, and one has now gone
over 30 years on the same lube. The same with my pocket watch. I do
recommend cleaning and oiling those at 5 year intervals! The clock does need
cleaning now. Both are just over 100 years old. The clock is a French
carriage clock, so not much dust can get in. I just wanted to see how long
the stuff would do it's job!

Steve R.