Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Concrete Patio

Virtual Voyager wrote:
Hi all,

I have a 16' x 22' concrete patio that butts up against the
utilityroom exterior wall foundation. It was poured when the house
was built almost 40 yrs ago.

It has severe cracks that appear to be almost, if not, all the way
through . Some not so deep. The cracks have created individual
sections, which has caused an uneven surface.

What can I use to seal the cracks? Finished appearance is not an
issue since I intend to build a "floating" deck over it.

I want to seal them so as to eliminate any further "settling" due to
the water undermining the slab(s).

Any and all experience and expertise is appreciated.

Vv

If you are building a deck over the footprint, best to tear the old
concrete out, correct the drainage problems that led to the settling (or
more likely frost heaving, if you live in frost country), and cover the
area with landscape fabric and gravel after you put in proper piers to
hold up the deck. I have a slightly-heaved buried patio under my deck,
and debris and such builds up under there, and causes ponding against
the imperfectly sealed foundation, and the water ends up in the
basement. The water may not be only coming through the cracks- it is
quite likely also coming in under the edge of the slab, if your yard has
any slope at all to it. The natural tendency of turf to 'eat' concrete
slabs can make even a level patio subject to ponding. Your yard does get
taller over the years. Pond under deck leads to mosquitoes, even if your
basement waterproofing keeps the basement perfectly dry. No sunlight,
that water can takes days to evaporate.

--
aem sends..