Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Dressing grinding wheels

here's what I do - note that none of this is "approved wood working
procedure" because it does not require buying lots of expensive
accessories - you can do this, or do something else

1, I get a cheap diamond saw cutting blade - typically a dollar or two on
sale at HF - a worn out one would be fine
2. resting blade on the grinder tool rest, slowly approach the face of the
wheel (with the grinder running) and let teh diamond blade cut the wheel
round.
3. repeat on each side of the wheel to remove the wobble - brace the diamond
blade somehow of course

this works cheaply, quickly, and effectively. you don't need a fancy
balancing thingie or anything

note that you want a light touch, and that you should be careful cutting on
the sides of the wheel lest they explode on you

"Paul" wrote in message
I have an 8" slow speed (1725 rpm) grinder from Woodcraft and the T
handle diamond dressing tool. The *1#&% wheels are out of round by
1/16" and no matter what I do I can not dress them round. The wheels
also do not run true. I suppose it is like the bounce on a bowl.
Once started, one must make an entirely fresh cut to get the bounce
out. But how does one start a new cut? Would a single point diamond
work, and if so where does one buy one of those?

Paul Gilbert