Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Model engineering heat pumps

On 2009-09-04, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:

We have overblown project ideas on our to-do-who-knows-when lists. I
have a grand idea of converting a 3m sat dish into a parabolic solar
steam boiler to feed a steam engine generator followed by an absorption
chiller. Don't know if I'll ever get a round-tuit, but it's a neat idea.

Much better to run a high temp differential Stirling engine off solar
input. A polished 3 M dish can melt steel in seconds at the focus. A

[ ... ]

You can build a hermetic machine, and put a little brushless PM alternator
inside the crankcase. Drive whatever you want with the
electrical output.

[ ... ]

But...but...if the object is a cooler, it's SO much simpler to build the
Stirling as a cooler rather than as an engine. No lube problems, no material
problems, and they run well on air if you aren't going for cryocooling.

What about a vortex cooler -- no moving parts (unless you count
the air). A bit noisy, however. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564