Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Loose hose bib

On Sep 4, 8:50*am, Matt wrote:
I have a hose bib in my garage that simply appears out of a hole in
the drywall. *It has a 45 degree turn connector and a vacuum breaker
attached, and then the garden hose. *The valve is always open, as it
is regulated at the exiting end of the hose. *Once in a while water
leaks from the valve itself - typically when toilets are flushed or
the washing machine is running in the house. *I took the vacuum
breaker and 45 out of the equation and it seems to be a tight
connection now. *The gasket on the breaker looks to be a bit worn.
Other issue is that the valve simply comes out of a 1" hole in the
drywall. *I haven't looked behind, but the valve is very loose - like
I can move it probably 1" or more in every direction (in/out/up/down/
left/right), and then it is only restrained by the size of the drywall
hole. *Should I just replace the entire valve with an anti-siphon
valve (i have soldered before, but it is NOT my profession), should I
just buy a new vacuum breaker with new gasket and spackle the hole
around the valve to make it a little tighter, or should i find some
other mechanical means of securing the valve to the drywall. *I hate
that every time I turn that valve on or off it moves in and out of the
wall, or left/right/up/down and puts stress on the water pipe behind
the drywall. *Sorry to be long winded, but thanks.

Matt-

Started this reply a few hours ago but got called away..... so some of
this is repeat.

If the "leak", as you call it, was intermittent and occurred at the
time of pressure fluctuations caused other water usages....the "leak"
appears to be "normal" vacuum breaker operation.

I'm guess everything is just working fine. Where I used to work we
had major water pressure. When a house nozzle was shutoff abruptly
the vacuum breaker would "give a little spray" when the water hammer
spiked the pressure.

The plumbing is supposed to be secured to the framing.

But at this point it depends on home much work you want to do & how
you want the result to look.
Spackling the hole to secure the hose bib is quick & easy but probably
wont last long.

Cutting away a section of drywall, securing the pipes to the framing &
redoing the drywall will give you the most secure and best looking
result but .... a lot of work for a garage.

Or take a piece of plywood (like 3/8 or 1/2) , drill a hole a saw
blade's thickness bigger in diameter than the pipe. Cut the plywood in
half and install around the pipe. Use some latext caulk in the hole
to glue the pipe in place (in & out) ......alllow time to cure before
distrubing the pipe. Not as pretty as the drywall rework but a lot
faster. Paint paint plywood to match & maybe bevel the edges to give
it a more finished look.

cheer
Bob