Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default drilling through concrete walls: how to?

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:01:47 +0100, Stephen wrote:

I had not used the drill bit before and I won't be using it again as the
end broke. I had expected better longevity from a branded bit. Are the
clutches on sds drills like those on cars, i.e. do they wear out
eventually? I ask because mine worked once or twice yesterday ;(

Sounds like you were over loading the drilling system. You don't need
to lean on a SDS drill like you do an conventional hammer drill. The
SDS action does the "leaning" for you. All you need to do is keep the
drill bit reasonably, but not hard, against the bottom of the hole
and let the SDS action do the cutting work. Enough pressure so that
the bit isn't bouncing about on the bottom of the hole.

Leaning on the drill, particulary with a long bit, is going to make
it flex/bend and deflect off harder bits in the wall rather than
drill through them.

It's probably asking a bit much to get a 15mm pipe through a 16mm
hole as well. As others have pointed out it really ought to be
sleeved. Cement and copper don't get on...

--
Cheers
Dave.