Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default Model engineering heat pumps

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 21:38:15 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

Richard J Kinch fired this volley in
:

1 KWH can pump 10,000 BTU in a 10 SEER heat pump. If we equate 746
watts to 1 HP, then you get 7460 BTUs pumped with 1 HP-hour. So
pumping 50 BTUs would take 50/7460 = 0.0067 HP-hour. That's about
0.08 HP for 5 minutes. But who knows what efficiency you could build
in that size. And how thirsty you are for a cold one.

I stand corrected. I failed to account for the fact that energy moved
isn't equal to energy input.

HOWSUMEVER... I'm not sure most 'mature' guys could output nearly a
tenth of a HP for five minutes, either. But I concede the error G.

Hour-record cyclists put out something over half a KW for that hour.

75 watts for 5 minutes is more than button pushing on a remote, but not
that hard.