Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default oil-based paints to be banned ?

Simon wrote:
On 3 Sep, 21:11, "mark" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Sep 3, 1:09 pm, "mark" wrote:

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On dragons den last night, one of the "dragons" mentioned oil-based or
high VOC paints are to be banned. Anyone know about this ?
Will be forced to use the awful quick-drying paints that leave brush
marks everywhere ?
More things going the way of the incandescent light bulbs ?
Simon.
http://www.buildingconservation.com/...ic/paintrestri...
mark

yet more idiotic meddling. We'll just have to go over to lead paint or
make our own oil paints, probably using something worse than white
spirit.

Perhaps you didn't read the article. Here is a quote:

"Flat oil paint and eggshell oil paints will be effectively banned from use
on walls. They may however still be used on 'trim' areas such as woodwork."

Will not being allowed to 'gloss' your wall bother you?

mark

How are they going to "effectively" ban them ?
If oil-based gloss is available, how can they stop you painting the
walls with it ?
Put painting under building control ? Should have been called part P !

I guess they just mean oil-based non-gloss paints (e.g. eggshell)
will not be manufactured. Shame, as eggshell is the best durable mid-
sheen finish. I painted a load of kitchen cabinets with that.
Simon.

This will be a problem for industrial scale painting where they rely on
fast solvents in cold weather.
I see they're now doing the Forth Bridge in some miracle coating that
will last 25 years. Hmm, we'll see