todd

Default Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post?

"McQualude" wrote in message
todd said:

folks who doesn't let a little thing like physics get in the
way of what you think is right.

I'm listening, explain why a round or square wooden fence post
is stronger if the width of the post is not a factor.

I, and one or two others, postulated that the round post would
be stronger because it maintains the integrity of the tree
(assuming the post started as a whole tree). No engineers have
responded to rebut any of those comments.

Since you're assuming that the round post has the center of the
tree as it's center, I'll assume that the square post is the
same. Therefore, the square post contains all of the material
of the round post, plus the material in the square corners.
Unless you can explain how added material in the corners weakens
the post, consider your postulate rebutted.

You still made the same assumption that the square post contains more
wood, even after I've told you twice that isn't true.
--
McQualude

So far, the sum total of your information from what I see looking back in
the thread regarding the dimensions of the post has included the following
"both equivalent in width" and "the width of the wood makes no difference".
Personally, I don't have the faintest idea what the hell you mean by either
of those. I've defined the assumptions I've made pretty clearly. If you'd
care to be specific, I'd tailor my comments to your specific case.

todd