Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default drilling through concrete walls: how to?

Stephen wrote:

I tried to drill a hole through a 500mm concrete wall yesterday. I was
hoping to put a 15mm copper pipe through to an outdoor tap

I was unsuccessful. I used an sds drill and I got through the wall
quick enough but although I (thought I) held the drill level, the exit
hole and the entry hole were at two different heights and passing a
pipe through was impossible.

Now that I know from the "one metre drill bits at Aldi" thread that
these bits are flexible, is it possible that the bit deflected inside
the wall?

If you try to pass the drill back through the hole, does it still
go? Can you pass a stiff but flexible wire through the hole?

It is possible that a fragment of the concrete that was disturbed
during the drilling has now dropped and is obstructing the hole.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.