Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Baseboard molding question

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Sep 3, 9:41 am, Henry wrote:

I'll look for those, and if they don't do the job well, I'll
just run a layer of spackle along the bottom. Thanks for all
the replies.

The taper usually takes care of the tapered edge at the bottom. It
only takes one coat and it's the fastest and easiest way to deal with
it...unless you're the taper.

You would be WRONG...The taper does not fill the bottom recess in a "normal"
tape job...Haven't seen to many folk use something as narrow as 2 1/2 inch
for baseboard either...LOL...99.9% of the time the baseboard is 5 1/2 inches
wide or more...I think the narrowist base I've seen is 1X4 (3 1/2 inch) in
20 odd years which is still wide enough to cover the 2 1/4 inch recess...The
contractors around here don't have a problem with the recess not being
filled when using "normal" sized trim...Remember , if it is new construction
and only the subfloor is installed the finished floor will an inch or more
thicker , depending on flooring so that takes care of an inch or so of the
recess..It could be that the OP is fussing over things that won't
matter..Over thinking things a bit...JMHO...