Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] celticsoc@aol.com is offline

Default Baseboard molding question

On Sep 2, 10:42�am, Henry wrote:
� With new construction, sheetrock is usually put up horizontally,
which means there will be a beveled edge along the floor where
the baseboard molding goes. How do I keep the molding flat with
the wall if it's nailed against the bevel on the sheet rock?

--

http://911research.wtc7.net

It looks like it has been answered pretty thoroughly, but I'll add a
thought or two as well. You don't have to go to the floor with the
mud at the bottom, so the 1/2" gap will still be there. Remember,
too, that the mud job behind baseboard doesn't have to be as perfect
as at joints. It is only a space-taker, and will be covered by the
baseboard, so it is not something you necessarily have to have the
taper do if you are willing to run the mud yourself. Just make sure
you are level at the taper and leave the bottom gap.

The other comment about sixe of baseboard is relevant also. Larger
baseboard probably won't pose much of a problem. If you are going to
be able to caulk, that much less potential. My last comment is that
if you are able, depending on the profile of the baseboard, to shoot a
couple brads along the top, it may help close a slight gap.